We have been away racing the last two weekends. Bank holiday weekend we were in North Wales for the Welsh Enduro Series at Penmachno and this weekend we were going cross-country style in Mud Sweat and Gears Series at Hadleigh Olympic Park.
It has been great putting my riding to the test and testing out my fitness and bike skills in a race scenario. My weakness is my race pace and really pushing myself to the limit, which is something I will work on (with more racing!). But the atmosphere at events is unbeatable, a real mix of nerves, competition, excitement and determination, believe it or not you can make good friends on the start line. Whether it be your first event or whether you’re a weekend warrior entering events is a fast way to improve, race against people of similar ability, learn race techniques and be part of a fitness family whatever your sport maybe. Following some simple pre and post race rules will ensure you arrive and leave your event feeling your best.
· Build your fitness up gradually in the weeks leading up to your race.
· Pack for your race the day before, so you can relax.
· Rest the day before your event.
· Give yourself lots of time to arrive and sign in.
· Warm-up adequately on the day before your event.
· Getting a massage post-event helps to normalize the tissues.
· Post event cool-down is essential.
· Rehydrate and refuel appropriately.
· Make sure you celebrate!